The PNG Chamber of Mines and Petroleum is a non-profit, peak industry association that represents the interests of the mining and petroleum industry and associated industries in Papua New Guinea. The Chamber has a current membership of over 200 companies. This includes most of the mining and petroleum companies active in PNG who comprise the Full Members. Associate and Service Members make up the balance of the membership and these are support companies with business connections to the mining and petroleum sectors in PNG.
Promotes the mineral and petroleum exploration potential of Papua New Guinea and the development of a world-class sustainable resources industry that provides benefit streams to improve the welfare of all Papua New Guineans.
Roles and Objectives
- Promotes world-class, sustainable mineral and hydrocarbon exploration, production, processing and supporting industries in PNG that are profitable, safe, environmentally and socially responsible, responsive to the welfare of impacted communities, and committed to the wellbeing and prosperity of current and future generations of PNG;
- Is the representative voice for the mining and petroleum industry in PNG. One of the principal roles of the organisation is to promote and support the industry by presenting to government and the community the concerns and issues facing the industry along with proposals to address these issues, and to advocate for beneficial changes to both existing and proposed new legislation and policy that affect the mining and petroleum sectors.
- Performs the vital role of informing and educating the wider community and increasing public awareness of the activities and benefits of the mining and petroleum industry. The organisation also informs the public of the industry’s obligations and commitments which are effectively monitored and controlled by the Government.
- Implements a wide range of other programs to promote and support the industry, assist members, and educate and inform the public, including media and public relations activities, education programs, publications, conferences and seminars, workshops, and international industry promotions. The Chamber’s flagship conference is the biennial PNG Mining and Petroleum Investment Conference convened in Sydney.
- Keeps members informed by publishing a regular “Bulletin”, which is also widely circulated to politicians, senior public servants, business and media organisations. The organisation also produces and supports technical publications for the benefit of members.
- Cooperates with and supports educational and training institutions regarding technical and professional courses and research programs of importance to the industry.
- Provides advice and support for members on programs that assist women in the footprint areas of the mining and petroleum projects to participate in a meaningful way in the benefits and opportunities provided by the resource developments taking place in their communities.
The Chamber is hosting the 13th PNG Mining and Petroleum Investment Conference from 1-3 December 2014, Sydney Hilton Hotel. Register now.
Welcome new members (Apr-Jul 2013): Yokopas Gold (Full member-Junior Explorer) Badili Hardware (Service member) Fairfax Legal (Service member)
January & February Edition 2014 now available. Update of the Chamber’s activities and highlights of the mining and petroleum industry.
For newsletters, reports and presentations, visit our Industry News Page